Ages ago I posted this video….
Squats and Depth Jumps.
Thankfully TruthAxe finally got around to commenting on it.
Here are his comments and my responses:
The girl means well. She’s getting bad training here.
If she has to rest on a stool, she’s using too much weight and thus not firing the stablizing muscles as well as the glutes on the way up.
Worse, is this that held squat at the end of plyo depth jump.
Plyo training is about the spring effect gained when off the ground (extension of muscles akin to a pulled slinky), and not about compressed muscles (contraction phase).
As you can see, because of the chair, she’s putting bad, excessive stress on her knees on the way up from the chair sitting position.
Also, in plyo, the key is maximum jump up so the fall distance, thus reaction force is highest.
She should jump as high into the air as she can, spring off the floor, hit the second box and jump off that straightaway.
Spoken like a true internet expert.
Ignorance is bliss eh?
The Irish. Same on both sides of the Atlantic.
Feel free to post all your training videos…show everyone how it is done.
Thanks for showing the world HOW NOT to do it.
The child in this video is ruining her knees, shoulders, lower back and inner upper feet.
At her age, she should not do any squats.
Rightly, she should perform Bondarchuk step-ups, which would put the load where it belongs, hams and glutes first, calves and quad second and not where her ignorant coach has the load placed.
Are you ripping off folks, taking their cash while claiming to be a “strength and conditioning coach”?
So I take it that’s a no then? You won’t be posting your training videos and showing everyone how it is done.
You acted so cocksure that you brazenly posted vids showing your bad training advice, ruining children’s bodies for future athletics.
So now you’re exposed. Crying like an effeminate doesn’t help your case Liam, er, Will.
I checked out your blog.
It looks like you’re an asshole to the whole world and not only to those who post comments on your YT vids.
Good luck defending the rest of your false beliefs during your living. You shall need it.
So that’s definitely a no then? You sure you won’t be posting all your excellent training videos?
So you going to continue ripping off people pretending to be a strength and conditioning coach?
You’re going to continue posting videos exposing your bad methods while damaging children?
You are a complete moron…but don’t worry…I’ll make you famous.
As opposed to what a “partial” moron?
Wow, dumb and obxnious you are.
I’d love to meet your mommy and daddy to what pieces of work they must be.
Now I have a few observations and comments to make:
1. Do people really think that I can’t see ROK’s form breaking down here? We had ‘worked up’ to this weight…and yes…it was too much. Another thing is that we weren’t doing the depth jumps for their plyometric effect. So essentially everything that TruthAxe had to say in his original comment was total rubbish…she wasn’t ‘resting on a stool’…as for putting stress on her knees…the stress is coming from the fact that she isn’t holding them out as she was in earlier sets because she was fatigued…the stress isn’t coming from ‘the chair sitting position’ as TruthAxe pointed out…as for the Plyo element…without going into too much detail here…what we were looking for was a super short contact time on the ground and on landing I actually wanted her to hold that power position longer…not shorter. We do a lot of work getting strong in and around that ‘power position’ both statically and dynamically as it has a huge impact on performance and I might make a post about this in the future…just for TruthAxe.
2. TruthAxe has all the elements of what I love about internet experts…he reads a lot obviously…he has the vocabulary down pat…he even slips in a bit of pseudo name dropping…there are heaps of people like this on the internet…they’ve read all the articles, read all the books etc etc and they know everything and nothing simultaneously. They give themselves away almost as soon as they open their mouths or post a comment. I also love all the insults about my nationality…I’m just surprised and disappointed he didn’t make a drunken fighting Irishman comment…I mean talk about clichés…I mean honestly…how could he not know from looking and listening to the blog and videos that I’m actually a drunken fighting Australian…thus going out of his way to prove my point that he’s a moron.
3. People get confused I think about the blog and videos I post…let me clear a few things up.
– I post vids that I think people would find interesting.
– I post vids of athletes ‘actually’ training…they aren’t set ups.
– I purposefully post stuff that isn’t perfect…because I think it is more interesting than me going over the videos when I get home and picking ones to post that show me in ‘the best light’.
4. With regard to this particular video…there are a huge number of flaws in ROK’s technique…like I said…she was too fatigued in this last set. I knew this…she knew this…we look at video and we fix things up…I think from memory we went back after this set and did a light set just to work on her technique. As for me damaging her and my bad training methods…give me a break…I think her performances and the massive improvements she’s made in the gym might going a long way to disproving TruthAxe’s well thought out analysis…maybe he should email the coaches at Irish Basketball and see what they think…or ask the guys her age who’s arse’s she kicked in testing? She has made massive improvements in both her squatting and deadlifting and maybe from now on I should just ‘set up’ all the videos of her training so TruthAxe doesn’t report me for child abuse.
5. Heaps of other coaches and trainers have emailed me have told me to delete and or just ignore the ‘negative’ comments…to take the high road. The thing is…that just isn’t me…I like the low road. I love annoying people, I love winding people up…I love doing it on the internet as much as I love doing it in real life.
I didn’t start this blog as a chance to ‘show off’ or to try and put myself out there as some sort of expert. I’m just a strength and conditioning coach…that’s it…I’m not the best…but certainly not the worst either and blog or no blog…internet or no internet I would be doing exactly the same job that I’m doing right now. The reason the blog came about was because people were saying I was too negative and didn’t make enough of a positive contribution…and I agreed with them…so I started it.
I deliberately don’t want it to be like all the others out there…it isn’t about optimising revenue, exploiting market opportunities, show casing my talent as a coach…it just is what is…there’s a reason I don’t write ‘articles’…it isn’t about ME telling YOU how to train…this is just what WE are doing…and take a wild guess how much WE care about what YOU think about what WE do?